Moose's Tooth Hungarian Mushroom Soup

Sunday, January 20, 2013
Moose's Tooth restaurant is probably Anchorage's best known eatery and rightfully so. Their unique, gourmet pizzas are the best I've stumbled upon and they also brew their own beer, a hard-to-beat combination. Because it's such a popular tourist destination, we often call ahead and pick up our order on the way home from work. Here's the usual: "1 Large Pizza, half Santa's Little Helper and half Avalanche. Also, a large mixed green salad with grilled chicken."

I have heard MT has a really good Hungarian Mushroom Soup, but I never seem to have room for soup with the usual pizza/salad. I haven't actually had the authentic MT soup, but I got curious when a friend told me you could find the recipe online. So I did. And then I made it.

I don't go vegetarian on meals very often, but this soup was tasty. I served it with some fresh kalamata bread and cheese. I plan to use cream cheese instead of milk/flour the next time I make this soup because the milk separated some when I added it to the hot broth. I also think it will make it a bit more creamy.




Ingredients
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 pound fresh mushrooms, assorted variety and sliced
2 teaspoons dried dill weed
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk + 3 tablespoons flour (or 8oz cream cheese)
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper to taste
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup sour cream

DIRECTIONS
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions in the butter for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes. Stir in the dill, paprika, soy sauce and broth. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. In a separate small bowl, whisk the milk and flour together. Pour this into the soup and stir well to blend. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Finally, stir in the salt, ground black pepper, lemon juice, parsley and sour cream. Mix together and allow to heat through over low heat, about 3 to 5 minutes. Do not boil. Serve immediately.

1 comment

  1. The photo of the spoon is really beautiful- I look forward to looking at your photos.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Month 5

The quarantine weeks have turned into months. 2020 has been quite the doozy. There are certainly good days and bad days in this journey. As ...