Exposure Trick

Monday, September 12, 2011
Proper exposure can be really tricky when shooting outdoor pictures. When I'm quickly trying to get an action shot, I often don't have time to think about the "optimum balance" between a dark subject and I bright sky. Rather, I select a shutter speed and take two pictures, one focused on the subject and the other focused on the background. Then, I import into Photoshop and try to play around with the original. However, it is really really difficult to do any post-editing to an over-exposed picture. Under-exposed is workable. So, sometimes I have to merge photographs. Take a look...

Over-exposed sky, good looking pup.

Good looking sky, blurry/dark pup.

So, I decided to combine the 2 pictures and boost the colors. Viola!

Beautiful overcast sky AND a clear, properly exposed pup.

Sometimes I get a slight halo effect around the subject when after merging photos, so I like to add a photo effect to even things out. Which is your favorite?

Colorized.

Sunny Pop.

B&W.

It's so easy to lose track of time when editing pictures! Sometimes I just can't decide on a favorite, so Roma helps me pick... :)

2 comments

  1. My fav's are the 3rd & 5th. Lol :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love sunny pop.... And what I don't love is that my photo friend lives so far cause I want to take another class haha... I need a tutorial on how to merge the photos!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Month 5

The quarantine weeks have turned into months. 2020 has been quite the doozy. There are certainly good days and bad days in this journey. As ...