Termination Dust

Wednesday, September 21, 2011
We have heard a couple folks talk about "Termination Dust" on the mountains recently. Being naive new Alaskans we had to inquire about this odd phrase, which refers to the first light dusting of snow on the peaks of the mountains. It's a signal that summer has ended and winter is on it's way. You can actually see the snow marching it's way down the mountains now. In a couple of weeks I'm guessing we'll have our first snow of the season. I can't say I'm ready for winter to be over just yet.

I found THIS funky website about Alaska slang words, worth a look if you plan on visiting! When I was looking through the words a couple of them gave me a good laugh, the first time I heard them I had no idea what they meant. Oh my. We've come so far (literally) in 10 months!



We won't be able to hike for too much longer this season... it's been my favorite Alaska pastime too. Bums :(

No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Month 5

The quarantine weeks have turned into months. 2020 has been quite the doozy. There are certainly good days and bad days in this journey. As ...