Thursday, October 21, 2010
Ross got me a new camera flash for my birthday. Meet the Canon Speedlite...
I haven't had much time to play with the flash yet, but from what I've seen I'm really loving it so far. My first preference is to take pictures without the flash, but indoors at night it's nice to have the flexibility that comes with the flash.  Let me explain. The flash can be tilted at different angles (0, 90, and 45 degrees) to vary the amount of light on the subject.

Group #1: Flash adjusted to 45 degrees.
 Group 2: Head on (0 degrees, like picture above)
Group 3: Flash at 90 degrees, indirect light

My favorite is the first, Group 1, with the flash at 45 deg. (These photos are straight out of the camera, no editing).  The slight angle (Group 1) is my favorite. I like the soft lighting and the more natural shadows. In my opinion, Group 2 is too artificial and cold, but Group 3 is just too dark. Again, here's another picture with the indirect, 45 deg flash. This time I turned the camera so the flash is on the left, mainly illuminated Roma's right side, but still a subtle change.

and playing with photoshop a little... gotta bring out those eyes.

And how about a color boost and a vignette?

Look how different you can make a picture! This picture originates from the same picture as the photo above.

Now we've had our first crash test on using a flash.  I think Roma has had enough pictures for one day. Afterall, we don't want her getting a big head or anything.

No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Month 5

The quarantine weeks have turned into months. 2020 has been quite the doozy. There are certainly good days and bad days in this journey. As ...