Hike: Flat Top

Tuesday, May 24, 2011
Flat Top Mountain is a part of the Chugach Mountain Range, which overlooks the city of Anchorage. It is one of the most popular hikes, mainly because it's so close to the city and it's only 3 miles roundtrip. When I looked at my Garmin stats, I expected the elevation gain to be more than 1300 ft--- the catch is that you drive halfway up the mountain and then begin your hike. Our max elevation was 3500 ft but we had a boost up to 2200 ft. That's ok with me! I liked having that boost very much.

There was a significant layer of snow on the way up, which made parts of the climb rather slippery (yes, we both fell a couple times). I'm not sure how to describe the last couple hundred feet up to the top... the word "scramble" is the first word that comes to mind. Ross and I were on all fours, crawling over and around boulders. Miss Roma was having a grand 'ole time watching us struggle.

It doesn't look so high right?


We made it Roma!

My new favorite family photo.




It's hard to tell, but we did this hike after dinner around 8pm... I love Alaska summers!

1 comment

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Month 5

The quarantine weeks have turned into months. 2020 has been quite the doozy. There are certainly good days and bad days in this journey. As ...