KING!

Monday, June 27, 2011
On Friday, I went on an offshore Halibut fish trip with my co-workers. This was one of the best "team building" trips I've been on. The fishing charter left from the Seward, AK docks at 7:30 AM, making for an early morning (a 2.5 hour drive from Anchorage).  The weather was perfect-- after all fish like those cloudy days. The water was also the calmest I'd seen it. BUT, I was wearing my trusty motion sickness patch, so I wasn't all that worried about the waves.

Did you know it's extremely unlucky to have bananas on board the boat? Yep, I learned this on my first fishing trip a couple weeks ago. I had made a couple bags of dried banana chips for snack and when the captain saw them, he suggested I throw them out. At first, I thought he was joking and then I could tell he was dead serious. The banana chips were subsequently tossed overboard. This time around, they said the same thing-- that bananas had to go. I need someone to give me some context on this whole banana thing. It baffles me, yet I obey.

The bait.

Each person can catch 2 Halibut/day. If they're too small/young we threw them back.

By lunchtime, we had amassed quite the load of Halibut, with a couple multi-colored Yellow-Eyed Rockfish.

You know how there's always THAT person who gets the biggest fish of the day?

Well it was THIS person...



Believe it. It was the first salmon I had ever caught---  a 40+ lb KING salmom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Isn't she a beauty?

Heavy fish!

What a great trip! Catching my first salmon was special on it's own, but the fact it was a giant KING salmon, made it all the more special.

No comments

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Month 5

The quarantine weeks have turned into months. 2020 has been quite the doozy. There are certainly good days and bad days in this journey. As ...