analyze or analyse?

Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Just got home from dinner with some of Steph's high school friends. It is so neat that their group of 6 or so girlfriends have stayed in touch and make it a point to get together once a month. The conversations are always entertaining. I was feeling full after dinner so I skipped dessert. *GASP!!* Don't be too impressed... the first thing I did when i got home was make dessert. My favorite dessert of late has been Dreyer's slow churned (1/3 fat) Vanilla Bean with dark chocolate peanut M&M's crushed up and mixed in. DIVINE. Now you might ask why I choose a lower cal ice cream.... It's because I eat ice cream EVERY night. I love love love it. I can sacrifice on the flavor some, but definitely not the frequency. I'm glad we cleared that up.

I've had a couple questions lately about what I do at work. Sometimes I ask myself the same thing! But really, what is a reservoir engineer? I stole the following description in which there are some British spellings, but that is what I have to deal with at work on a daily basis, so I thought it would be perfect. Here it goes....

Reservoir engineers analyse the production potential of a petroleum reservoir. (How much oil/gas is there?) 
They study the behavior and characteristics of a petroleum reservoir to determine the drilling and extraction methods that should be used to optimise oil or gas recovery. (How deep, pressure environment, how easy does oil flow, temperatures,  location, of the oil that's there how much can we get out of the ground)
They gather data from various sources to produce a development plan, using computer models to simulate production conditions. (Gather Data. It sounds so easy, but it is so time consuming. it's such an important step because if you put junk into any model you will get junk out. I sit in front of the computer most of my day using Excel and simulation software.) 
This enables them to identify risks and forecast the likely outcome of events and possible interventions, to maximise reservoir yields and performance. (Predicting what a well will make. Used to "book reserves" at the end of year with the Securities Exchange Commission. Reservoir Engineers must be able to back up all numbers!)
Does that help? Do you all want to be reservoir engineers now or did I make you fall asleep? 

2 comments

  1. Awesome picture, Liz! Your last post does make me want a Weim, but I know we have a little nosey pup down the street so I will just enjoy her for now:) Glad you had a great time with the girls - they all LOVE you! Great idea on posting a description of your job. Everyone knows where you work and your title, but now they know what you actually do! See you tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the job description! Had not heard of a Reservoir Engineer but it makes sense in the oil business. We didn't use the term in the finishes (paints) and plastics technologies. However, using computer models to project performance, yields, properties, etc. was used. Maybe you could come up with a model to project expected "tastes" for some of your new recipes! Have fun!
    Love, G & G

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Month 5

The quarantine weeks have turned into months. 2020 has been quite the doozy. There are certainly good days and bad days in this journey. As ...